Health Tip: When Aggressive Behavior Signals a Problem
-- Children may act out in an aggressive way because they're frustrated or just don't know how to express their emotions. But there are times when it's wise for a parent to call the pediatrician during an aggressive outburst.
The American Academy of Pediatricians says you should call the child's doctor if:
- Aggression causes physical injury to other people or himself/herself.
- Aggression lasts longer than a few weeks, and you are unable to manage your child's behavior.
- Your child attacks you or someone else.
- Your child is sent home from school or is barred from playtime as a result of aggression.
- You feel afraid for your safety.
Posted: January 2012
Recommended for you