Health Tip: After Donating Blood
-- Donating blood is a generous act that helps save lives. But don't forget to take care of yourself afterward.
The American Red Cross says after donating blood, you should:
- Avoid alcohol and drink extra fluids for at least 24 hours.
- Remove the bandage from your arm after a couple of hours, then clean the area with soap and water.
- Avoid strenuous activity, including heavy lifting, for the rest of the day.
- Apply pressure and hold your arm straight for 10 minutes if the site begins bleeding again.
- Take a rest if you feel dizzy or lightheaded.
Posted: March 2014
Recommended for you