Health Tip: Add Veggies to Most Any Meal
-- If your family doesn't eat enough vegetables, there are ways to sneak them into almost any meal.
The American Heart Association suggests:
- Shred veggies such as beets, parsnips and zucchini, adding them to pasta, baked goods and other favorite recipes.
- Substitute cooked, ground mushrooms instead of about half of the ground meat normally used in dishes such as meatballs, meatloaf or burgers.
- Cook and puree butternut squash, carrots or sweet potatoes and add to macaroni and cheese.
- Puree your favorite beans into a nutritious dip. Serve with whole-grain crackers or baby carrots.
- Blend a brightly colored, nutritious smoothie with a banana, milk or yogurt and spinach, sweet potatoes or beets.
Posted: September 2016
Recommended for you