Health Tip: The ABCs of School Bus Safety
-- It's important to teach your child basic safety rules to be followed when boarding or exiting a school bus.
Here are suggestions, courtesy of the U.S. National Safety Council:
- Always wait on a sidewalk until the bus comes to a complete stop and the doors open. Never wait on a street, road, or alley.
- Make sure that the driver can always see you. Never walk behind the bus.
- If crossing in front of the bus, walk at least 10 feet in front of it, until you can turn around and easily see the driver.
- Pay careful attention to traffic, traffic signals and signs from the driver on when it is safe to cross the street.
- Use the bus handrail to climb up or down the steps.
Posted: March 2008