Give Your Family the Gift of Regular Exercise
FRIDAY, Dec. 18, 2020 -- Physical activity could be the best gift to give your family this holiday season. And the American Heart Association (AHA) has some suggestions on how to do that.
Find open times for physical activity and make it a regular part of your family's schedule. Include it on a weekly calendar for the whole family.
Experts say children should be limited to one to two hours of TV/computer/video games a day. But the average 8-year-old spends eight hours a day using various types of media, and it's often more than 11 hours for teenagers.
The coronavirus pandemic has upended organized sports for many kids, with many becoming even more sedentary.
Provide youngsters with age-appropriate physically active alternatives to TV or video games after school, the AHA advises.
Here are some other suggestions:
- Limit children's TV, computer, smartphone and video game time. Don't make the TV the main focus of a room.
- Don't let kids have televisions or video game devices in their bedrooms, and don't use TV time as a reward or punishment.
- Plan TV watching in advance. Select the shows you want to watch, and turn the TV on for only those shows and turn it off when they're over. Don't just watch whatever comes on next.
- Set a good example. Your children won't accept being restricted to two hours of gaming if you have unlimited screen time. Being a good role model is the best way to influence your children's behavior.
- Be active with your kids. Develop a set of activities the family can do regardless of weather.
- Start a family game night; get out to shoot hoops or kick a soccer ball, or walk the dog. You can also explore a nearby park, turn on some music and dance, or do chores that require some physical activity.
© 2021 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: December 2020
Read this next
THURSDAY, Jan. 21, 2021 - - With rising obesity rates, more young women American women are developing type 2 diabetes, putting them at hugely increased risk for heart disease, new...
TUESDAY, Jan. 19, 2021 (American Heart Association News) -- The wind howled and thunder boomed as an ambulance raced Spencer Timmel and his newborn son, Charlie, to a hospital...
FRIDAY, Jan. 15, 2021 (American Heart Association News) -- Experts have a simple answer for heart and stroke patients questioning whether they need a COVID-19 vaccination. That...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.