Flesh-Eating Bacteria Claims Life of Florida Woman
TUESDAY, July 2, 2019 -- A Florida woman died late last week from flesh-eating bacteria two weeks after cutting her leg while walking along the coast.
Carolyn "Lynn" Fleming, 77, lived in Ellenton and visited Coquina Beach, near St. Petersburg, on June 14. While wading in the water, she stumbled and suffered a small cut her on her left shin, CNN reported. Initially, Fleming was fine, but she was hospitalized June 17 and diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis. She had surgeries to combat the infection, and suffered two strokes and kidney failure. She was eventually put on life support and died on June 27.
By sharing her story, Fleming's family hopes to educate others and save lives. "We are not discouraging people from spending time at the beach," son Wade Fleming told CNN "We've met many people from Florida who said they've never heard of necrotizing fasciitis."
There are about 700 to 1,200 cases of necrotizing fasciitis reported each year in the United States, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: July 2019
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.