In A-Fib Patients, Stroke Risk Higher for Blacks Than Whites
WEDNESDAY, Feb. 21, 2018 -- Compared with whites, blacks are at increased risk of developing an ischemic stroke either before or after diagnosis of atrial fibrillation (AF), according to a study published online Feb. 20 in Heart Rhythm.
Parin J. Patel, M.D., from St. Vincent Medical Group in Indianapolis, and colleagues assessed racial differences in strokes that occurred before and after AF diagnosis among 3,507 participants in the Penn Atrial Fibrillation Free study.
The researchers found that 538 patients had ischemic strokes and 54 had hemorrhagic strokes. Among the ischemic strokes, 47 percent occurred within a six-month period before the diagnosis of AF, with the majority of these occurring either on the day of (n = 158) or within a seven-day period before (n = 30) the diagnosis of incident AF. The remaining 53 percent of ischemic strokes occurred a median of 3.6 years after AF diagnosis. Blacks had an independently higher risk of having an ischemic stroke either before (adjusted odds ratio, 1.37) or after (adjusted hazard ratio, 1.67) AF diagnosis compared to whites.
"Future public health interventions should continue to highlight the importance of AF screening and anticoagulation therapies and evaluate whether such interventions can reduce the excess burden of ischemic strokes and subsequent racial differences," the authors write.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: February 2018
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.