WHO: Congo Ebola Outbreak Not a Global Emergency
THURSDAY, Oct. 18, 2018 -- The latest Ebola outbreak in Congo is not yet severe enough to be declared a global emergency, the World Health Organization decided after a meeting of experts yesterday.
The U.N. health agency said it is "deeply concerned" about the outbreak and that "response activities need to be intensified and ongoing vigilance is critical," the Associated Press reported.
There have been 181 confirmed cases, including 104 deaths, so far in the outbreak, according to Congo officials. The rate of new Ebola cases more than doubled this month and the WHO has said that the risk of the deadly disease spreading in the region is "very high," the AP reported.
The risk of international spread is low, but another meeting about declaring a global emergency could be called if the outbreak does spread to another country, according to Robert Steffen, chair of the WHO's emergency committee.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: October 2018
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.