Close Laundry Detergent Right After Use, Expert Says
SATURDAY, April 21 -- A new survey finds that most Americans remember to seal laundry detergent containers immediately after use, an important part of safe laundry practices.
Only 12 percent of people sometimes, rarely or never seal laundry detergent containers after each use, according to the American Cleaning Institute poll.
Laundry detergents contain chemicals that can be poisonous if accidentally ingested by a child or pet, experts say.
"After adding the detergent to your machine, always remember to close the detergent container," Nancy Bock, American Cleaning Institute senior vice president of education, said in an institute news release. "Now is the perfect time to evaluate your laundry routine and incorporate just a few practices to create a safer living environment for yourself and your family."
Bock offered the following laundry safety tips:
- Keep laundry products out of the reach of children and pets.
- Keep products in their original containers. Close the container and put the detergent in a secure place immediately after each use.
- Read and follow all instructions on the product label before use. If you have questions, call the manufacturer using the toll-free number on the label or go to the manufacturer's website.
- Clean up any spills and immediately wash your hands or any items used to dispense or measure products.
- Keep the Poison Control Center phone number (1-800-222-1222) in a handy place.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers tips to prevent poisonings.
Posted: April 2012
Recommended for you