CDC Updates Info on Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children
THURSDAY, Aug. 13, 2020 -- As of July 29, there have been a total of 570 U.S. cases of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), according to research published in the Aug. 7 early-release issue of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
Shana Godfred-Cato, D.O., from the CDC COVID-19 Response Team in Atlanta, and colleagues reviewed suspected cases of MIS-C reported to local and state health departments as of July 29, 2020.
The researchers identified 570 U.S. MIS-C patients (median age, 8 years; 55.4 percent male). Cases were disproportionately seen among Hispanic or Latino children (40.5 percent) and non-Hispanic black children (33.1 percent) versus non-Hispanic white children (13.2 percent). Almost all patients (99.1 percent) had positive severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 test results. Just over one-third of patients (35.6 percent) had a clinical course consistent with previously published MIS-C reports, including presentation with shock, cardiac dysfunction, abdominal pain, and markedly elevated inflammatory markers. The other two-thirds of MIS-C patients (64.4 percent) had manifestations that overlapped with acute COVID-19, had a less severe clinical course, or had features of Kawasaki disease. The median length of hospital stay was six days, and nearly two-thirds (63.9 percent) of patients required admission to an intensive care unit. Ten patients (1.8 percent) died.
"As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to expand in many jurisdictions, clinicians should be aware of the signs and symptoms of MIS-C and report suspected cases to their state or local health departments," the authors write.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: August 2020
Read this next
Here is what the editors at Physician's Briefing chose as the most important COVID-19 developments for you and your practice for the week of Sept. 21 to 25, 2020. This roundup...
FRIDAY, Sept. 25, 2020 -- Non-English speakers are less likely to have completed severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) testing and have a higher proportion...
FRIDAY, Sept. 25, 2020 -- Fertility treatment suspensions due to the COVID-19 pandemic have had a considerable negative impact on women's mental health and quality of life,...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.