Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch
Generic Name: zinc oxide topical (ZINK OX ide)
Brand Name: ARC, Balmex, Boudreaux Butt Paste, Caldesene, Calmol-4 Suppository, Critic-Aid Skin Paste, Delazinc, Desitin, Dr. Smith's Rash + Skin, Flanders Buttocks Ointment, Geri-Protect, Nupercainal Suppository, PeriGuard, Pinxav, Rash Relief, Secura Protective Cream, Seniortopix Healix, Soothe & Cool Skin Paste, Sportz Block Dark, Triple Paste, Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch, Znlin
What is Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch?
Zinc oxide is a mineral.
Zinc oxide rectal suppositories are used to treat itching, burning, irritation, and other rectal discomfort caused by hemorrhoids or painful bowel movements.
There are many brands and forms of zinc oxide available. Not all brands are listed on this leaflet.
Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
Before taking this medicine
Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch will not treat a bacterial or fungal infection. Call your doctor if you have any signs of infection such as redness and warmth or oozing skin lesions.
It is not known whether zinc oxide will harm an unborn baby. Ask a doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant.
It is not known whether zinc oxide passes into breast milk or if it could affect a nursing baby. Ask a doctor before using this medicine if you are breast-feeding.
How should I use Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch?
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Do not take by mouth. Topical medicine is for use only on the skin. A rectal suppository is for use only in your rectum.
Apply enough of this medication to cover the entire area to be treated. Zinc oxide often leaves a thin white residue that may not be entirely rubbed in.
To treat chapped skin, minor burn wounds, or other skin irritations, use the medication as often as needed. Apply a thin layer to the affected area and rub in gently.
To treat diaper rash, use Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch each time the diaper is changed. It is especially important to apply the medication at bedtime or whenever there will be a long period of time between diaper changes.
Keep the diaper area clean and dry to prevent worsening of skin rash. Change wet diapers as soon as possible. Allow the skin to dry thoroughly before putting on a fresh diaper.
When using the powder form of this medicine, pour the powder slowly to avoid a large puff into the air. Do not allow a baby to handle a powder bottle during use. Always close the lid after using the powder.
Wash your hands before and after inserting the rectal suppository.
Try to empty your bowel and bladder just before using the zinc oxide suppository.
Remove the wrapper before inserting the suppository. Avoid handling the suppository too long or it will melt in your hands.
Lie on your back with your knees up toward your chest. Gently insert the suppository into your rectum about 1 inch, pointed tip first.
For best results, stay lying down for a few minutes. The suppository will melt quickly and you should feel little or no discomfort while holding it in. Avoid using the bathroom for at least an hour after using the suppository.
Wash your hands before and after inserting a rectal suppository.
Try to empty your bowel and bladder just before using the suppository. Cleanse and dry your rectal area thoroughly.
Remove the outer wrapper from the suppository before inserting it. Avoid handling the suppository too long or it will melt in your hands.
For best results, stay lying down after inserting the suppository and hold it in your rectum for a few minutes. The suppository will melt quickly once inserted and you should feel little or no discomfort while holding it in.
Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after 7 days of treatment.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep the tube cap tightly closed when not in use.
You may store zinc oxide rectal suppositories in a refrigerator to prevent melting.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Since zinc oxide is used on an as needed basis, you are not likely to miss a dose. Using extra zinc oxide to make up a missed dose will not make the medication more effective.
What happens if I overdose?
An overdose of zinc oxide is not expected to be dangerous. Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 if anyone has accidentally swallowed the medication.
What should I avoid while using Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch?
Avoid using other medications on the areas you treat with zinc oxide unless your doctor tells you to.
Rinse with water if this medicine gets in your eyes.
Do not use Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch on deep skin wounds or severe burns.
Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch?
It is not likely that other drugs you take orally or inject will have an effect on topically applied zinc oxide. But many drugs can interact with each other. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
More about Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch (zinc oxide topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous topical agents
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 4.01.
Date modified: February 01, 2018
Last reviewed: April 19, 2017