Tyvaso Starter Kit (inhalation)
What is Tyvaso Starter Kit?
Treprostinil dilates (widens) the arteries and decreases the amount of blood clotting platelets in your body. These effects lower blood pressure in the pulmonary artery that leads from the heart to the lungs.
Treprostinil is used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). This medicine improves your ability to exercise and can help prevent your condition from getting worse.
Treprostinil may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
Before taking this medicine
You should not use treprostinil if you are allergic to it.
To make sure Tyvaso Starter Kit is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
an infection in your lungs, including pneumonia;
a bleeding or blood clotting disorder;
if you take medicine to treat high blood pressure (hypertension).
Treprostinil is not expected to harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment.
It is not known whether treprostinil passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I use Tyvaso Starter Kit?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
This medicine should be used only with a Tyvaso inhalation system. The inhalation system comes with patient instructions for safe and effective use. Do not use this medicine at home if you do not fully understand how to use the inhalation system and properly clean it daily. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Tyvaso Starter Kit is usually given 4 times per day at evenly spaced intervals during waking hours. Each time you use the medicine, you will inhale up to 9 breaths of the medication. Follow your doctor's instructions.
Do not mix other inhalation medicines with treprostinil in the Tyvaso inhalation system.
Wash your hands before preparing your treprostinil doses in the inhalation system.
Before your first dose of each day, twist off the top of one ampule and empty the contents into the medicine cup of the inhalation system. One ampule of Tyvaso Starter Kit contains enough medicine for all 4 of a day's doses.
To keep the medicine in the cup from spilling, store the inhalation system upright and tightly capped with the plugs when not in use.
At the end of the day after your last dose, empty and rinse out the medicine cup, even if there is still some medicine left in it.
The effects of Tyvaso Starter Kit will lessen over time between doses. Talk with your doctor if you need to time your dosing around any planned activities.
Do not use more than 9 breaths per treatment session, 4 times per day.
Use treprostinil regularly to get the most benefit. You should not reduce your dose or stop using treprostinil suddenly. Stopping suddenly may make your condition worse. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely. Make sure you have a backup inhalation system available so as not to interrupt your treatment if one system stops working.
Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve, or if they get worse while using Tyvaso Starter Kit.
Store treprostinil ampules in their foil pouch at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light. Once you have opened a foil pouch, the ampules in it should be used within 7 days.
Any treprostinil placed into the medicine cup of the inhalation system must be used within 24 hours. Throw away any unused medicine at the end of the day after your last dose.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Use the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine.
Overdose symptoms may include warmth or tingling, vomiting, or fainting.
What should I avoid while using Tyvaso Starter Kit?
Do not swallow Tyvaso Starter Kit. The medication should be inhaled using only the Tyvaso inhalation system.
Rinse with water if this medication gets in your eyes.
If this medication gets on your skin, wash the area with soap and water.
Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall.
Tyvaso Starter Kit side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out;
easy bruising or bleeding (nosebleeds, bleeding gums), or any bleeding that will not stop;
unexpected vaginal bleeding;
coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds; or
blood in your urine or stools, black or tarry stools.
Common side effects may include:
cough, sore throat;
pain or irritation in your throat after use;
flushing (warmth, redness or tingling).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect Tyvaso Starter Kit?
Other drugs may interact with treprostinil, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use now and any medicine you start or stop using.
More about Tyvaso (treprostinil)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 9 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: agents for pulmonary hypertension
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your doctor or pharmacist can provide more information about Tyvaso Starter Kit.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 2.02.
Date modified: March 06, 2018
Last reviewed: July 21, 2016