The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: selenium sulfide topical (se LEE nee um SUL fide TOP ik al)
Brand Name: Dandrex, SelRx, Selsun Blue Balanced Treatment, Tersi Foam
What is Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide topical)?
Selenium sulfide is an antifungal medication. It prevents fungus from growing on your skin.
Selenium sulfide topical (for the skin) is used to treat dandruff, seborrhea, and tinea versicolor (a fungus that discolors the skin).
Selenium sulfide topical may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide topical)?
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide topical)?
You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to selenium sulfide.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether selenium sulfide topical will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether selenium sulfide topical passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Selenium sulfide topical should not be used on a child younger than 2 years old without a doctor's advice.
How should I use Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide topical)?
Use this medicine exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use it in larger amounts or for longer than recommended.
Shake the selenium sulfide foam, lotion, or shampoo well just before each use.
Wash your hands after applying the foam or lotion.
Rinse the shampoo thoroughly. Do not leave it in your hair for an extended period of time. Selenium sulfide topical shampoo is generally not for daily use. Follow the directions on the label, or your doctor's instructions.
Use this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared.
Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve, or if they get worse while using selenium sulfide topical.
Do not cover treated skin with a bandage or other dressing unless your doctor has told you to. A light cotton-gauze bandage may be used to protect clothing.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep the foam canister away from open flame, and do not puncture the can.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Apply the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
An overdose of selenium sulfide topical is not expected to be dangerous. Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 if anyone has accidentally swallowed the medication.
What should I avoid while using Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide topical)?
Avoid getting this medicine in your eyes, nose, mouth, rectum, or vagina. If it does get into any of these areas, rinse with water. Do not use selenium sulfide topical on sunburned, windburned, dry, chapped, or broken skin.
Avoid covering treated skin areas with tight-fitting, synthetic clothing that doesn't allow air circulation. Wear loose-fitting clothing made of cotton and other natural fibers until your infection is healed.
Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide topical) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using selenium sulfide and call your doctor if you have unusual or severe blistering, itching, redness, peeling, dryness, or irritation of treated skin.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What other drugs will affect Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide topical)?
Avoid using other topical medications at the same time you apply selenium sulfide topical, unless your doctor approves. Other skin medications may affect the absorption or effectiveness of selenium sulfide topical.
More about Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 2 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous topical agents
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about selenium sulfide topical.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 3.03. Revision Date: 2013-11-18, 11:24:33 AM.