Generic Name: calcium and vitamin D combination (KAL see um and VYE ta min D)
Brand Name: Calcet, Calcitrate with D, Caltrate 600 + D, Calvite P & D, Citracal + D, Os-Cal Extra D3, Oysco D, Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D, Oyster-D, Posture-D H/P, Risacal-D, UpCal D
What is Oyster-D (calcium and vitamin D combination)?
Calcium is a mineral that is found naturally in foods. Calcium is necessary for many normal functions of your body, especially bone formation and maintenance.
Vitamin D is important for the absorption of calcium from the stomach and for the functioning of calcium in the body.
Calcium and vitamin D combination is used to prevent or to treat a calcium deficiency.
Calcium and vitamin D combination may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about Oyster-D (calcium and vitamin D combination)?
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to take this medicine if you have kidney disease, past or present kidney stones, heart disease, circulation problems, a parathyroid disorder, or if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Avoid taking any other vitamin or mineral supplements that contain calcium or vitamin D without first talking to your doctor.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Oyster-D (calcium and vitamin D combination)?
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to take this medicine if you have:
past or present kidney stones;
high levels of calcium in your blood;
circulation problems; or
a parathyroid gland disorder.
Do not take calcium and vitamin D without your doctor's advice if you are pregnant or breast-feeding a baby. Your dose needs may be different during this time.
How should I take Oyster-D (calcium and vitamin D combination)?
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Take the calcium and vitamin D regular tablet with a full glass of water.
Take this medicine with food that is not high in fiber (such as bran).
The chewable tablet must be chewed before you swallow it.
Do not crush, chew, or break an extended-release tablet. Swallow it whole.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking Oyster-D (calcium and vitamin D combination)?
Avoid taking any other vitamin or mineral supplements that contain calcium or vitamin D without your doctor's advice.
Avoid taking an antacid within 2 hours before or after you take calcium and vitamin D combination. Some antacids can make it harder for your body to absorb calcium and vitamin D combination.
Oyster-D (calcium and vitamin D combination) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have signs of too much calcium in your body, such as:
stomach pain, vomiting, loss of appetite;
increased thirst or urination;
muscle pain or weakness, joint pain; or
confusion, and feeling tired or restless.
Common side effects may include:
an irregular heartbeat;
weakness, drowsiness, headache;
dry mouth, or a metallic taste in your mouth; or
muscle or bone pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What other drugs will affect Oyster-D (calcium and vitamin D combination)?
Other drugs may interact with calcium and vitamin D, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Tell your doctor about all your current medicines and any medicine you start or stop using.
More about Oyster-D (calcium / vitamin d)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: vitamin and mineral combinations
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about calcium and vitamin D combination.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 3.12.
Date modified: December 03, 2017
Last reviewed: June 29, 2017