Generic Name: nystatin and triamcinolone (topical) (nye STAT in and TRYE am SIN o lone)
Brand Name: Mycolog-II, Mytrex
What is nystatin and triamcinolone?
Nystatin is an antifungal medicine that fights infections caused by fungus.
Triamcinolone is a steroid. It reduces the actions of chemicals in the body that cause inflammation.
Nystatin and triamcinolone topical (for the skin) is a combination medicine used to treat skin infections caused by fungus or yeast.
Nystatin and triamcinolone topical may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about nystatin and triamcinolone?
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
What should I discuss with my health care provider before using nystatin and triamcinolone?
You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to nystatin or triamcinolone.
Tell your doctor if you have diabetes. Steroid medicines may increase the glucose (sugar) levels in your blood or urine. You may also need to adjust the dose of your diabetes medications.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether nystatin and triamcinolone topical will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medicine.
It is not known whether nystatin and triamcinolone topical passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Do not use this medicine on a child without a doctor's advice. Children can absorb larger amounts of this medication through the skin and may be more likely to have side effects.
How should I use nystatin and triamcinolone?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not use this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Do not take by mouth. This medicine is for use only on the skin.
Wash your hands before and after using nystatin and triamcinolone topical, unless you are using the medicine to treat the skin on your hands.
Apply a thin layer of nystatin and triamcinolone to your skin and rub in gently. Do not apply the medicine over a large area of skin.
Do not cover the treated skin area. Covering the skin that is treated with topical steroid medicine can increase the amount of medicine your skin absorbs, which may lead to unwanted side effects. If you apply this medicine to your groin area, wear loose-fitting clothes.
When treating the diaper area of a baby, do not use plastic pants or tight-fitting diapers.
Use nystatin and triamcinolone topical regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
Call your doctor if your skin condition does not improve after 25 days of treatment, or if it gets worse while using this medicine.
If you use this medicine long-term, you may need frequent medical tests at your doctor's office.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Do not freeze. Keep the tube tightly closed when not in use.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Apply the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 if anyone has accidentally swallowed the medication.
An overdose of nystatin and triamcinolone topical is not expected to produce life threatening symptoms. However, long term use of high steroid doses can lead to symptoms such as thinning skin, easy bruising, changes in the shape or location of body fat (especially in your face, neck, back, and waist), increased acne or facial hair, menstrual problems, impotence, or loss of interest in sex.
What should I avoid while using nystatin and triamcinolone?
Avoid getting this medicine in your eyes. If contact does occur, rinse with water. Do not use nystatin and triamcinolone topical on broken or infected skin. Also avoid using this medicine in open wounds.
Do not use nystatin and triamcinolone topical to treat any condition that has not been checked by your doctor.
Nystatin and triamcinolone side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Topical steroid medicine can be absorbed through the skin, which may cause steroid side effects throughout the body. Stop using this medicine and call your doctor if you have:
blurred vision, tunnel vision, eye pain, or seeing halos around lights;
nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite;
weight gain or loss;
muscle weakness, worsening tiredness;, a light-headed feeling (like you might pass out);
anxiety, depression, irritability; or
slow wound healing.
Also stop using nystatin and triamcinolone topical and call your doctor at once if you have:
severe skin irritation where the medicine was applied; or
signs of skin infection (swelling, redness, warmtth, oozing).
Common side effects may include:
increased hair growth;
burning or itching of treated skin;
skin dryness or irritation;
acne, skin rash;
folliculitis (redness or crusting around your hair follicles);
lightened color of treated skin;
stretch marks; or
white or "pruned" appearance of the skin (caused by leaving wound dressings on for long periods of time).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect nystatin and triamcinolone?
It is not likely that other drugs you take orally or inject will have an effect on topically applied nystatin and triamcinolone. But many drugs can interact with each other. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
More about Mycogen II (nystatin / triamcinolone topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical steroids with anti-infectives
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about nystatin and triamcinolone topical.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 3.01. Revision Date: 2014-12-01, 7:23:16 PM.