Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength
Generic Name: methyl salicylate topical (METH il sa LISS il ate TOP ik al)
Brand Name: Absorbine Jr., Analgesic Balm Greaseless, Arthricare Cream, BENGAY Ultra, Boroleum, Castiva Cooling, Eucalyptamint, Exocaine Plus, Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength, Gordogesic, Icy Hot, Mentholatum Deep Heating, Rhuli Gel, Salonpas Pain Patch, Satogesic, Thera-Gesic
What is Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength?
Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength (for the skin) is used for temporary relief of muscle or joint pain caused by strains, sprains, arthritis, bruising, or backaches.
Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
Before taking this medicine
It is not known whether Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not apply this medicine to your breast area if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Do not use this medication on a child younger than 12 years old without medical advice.
How should I use Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength?
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Make sure your skin is clean and dry before you apply Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength.
Do not apply methyl salicylate to open wounds, or to skin that is sunburned, windburned, dry, chapped, or otherwise irritated.
When using Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength cream, gel, lotion, oil, ointment, or spray: apply a thin layer to the affected area and rub in gently until completely absorbed.
To use the liquid or stick, uncap the applicator and press it firmly on your skin to apply the medication. Massage gently onto the affected are until completely absorbed.
To apply a Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength skin patch, remove the liner and apply the patch to your skin over the area of pain. Press the edges firmly into place. Remove the patch and apply a new patch 1 or 2 times daily if needed.
Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength may be used up to 4 times daily or as directed on the medicine label.
Wash your hands with soap and water immediately after applying Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength or handling the skin patch. If you have applied the medicine to your hands or fingers to treat pain in those areas, wait at least 30 minutes before washing your hands.
To keep the medication from getting on your fingers when you apply it, you may use a rubber glove, finger cot, cotton ball, or clean tissue to apply the medicine.
Methyl salicylate can cause a cold or burning sensation wherever it is applied. This sensation is usually mild and should gradually lessen over time.
If the burning sensation is painful or causes significant discomfort, wash the treated skin area with soap and cool water. Get medical attention right away if you have severe burning, pain, swelling, or blistering.
Do not cover treated skin with a bandage or heating pad, which can increase the burning sensation. You may cover the skin with clothing.
Avoid getting this medication in your eyes. If this does happen, rinse with water.
Also avoid getting this medication on contact lenses, dentures, and other items that come into contact with sensitive areas of your body.
Avoid applying methyl salicylate right after bathing or shaving. Using this medication on freshly shaved skin areas can cause severe skin irritation.
Call your doctor if your pain does not improve after using this medication for 7 days, or if your symptoms get worse or get better and then come back in a few days.
Store this medication at room temperature away from moisture and heat, in a place where children and pets cannot get to it.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Since Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength is used as needed, it does not have a daily dosing schedule. Call your doctor promptly if your symptoms do not improve after using this medicine.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 if anyone has accidentally swallowed this medication.
What should I avoid while using Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength?
Avoid getting this medication in your mouth, nose, rectum, or vagina. If this does happen, rinse with water.
Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, nose, genitals, or rectum until the medication has been washed off your hands. Also avoid handling food while the medication is still on your hands.
Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Wash the skin and get medical attention right away if you have severe burning, pain, swelling, or blistering of the skin where you applied this medication.
Less serious side effects may include a mild cold or burning sensation.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength?
It is not likely that other drugs you take orally or inject will have an effect on topically applied methyl salicylate. But many drugs can interact with each other. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
More about Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength (methyl salicylate topical)
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical rubefacient
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about Flex-All 454 Maximum Strength.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 2.04.
Date modified: March 06, 2018
Last reviewed: October 14, 2014