The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
A-200 Lice Control
Generic Name: piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical (pye PER oh nil bue TOX ide and pye REE thrins TOP i kal)
Brand Name: A-200 Lice Treatment, Good Sense Lice Killing Shampoo, Step 1, Leader Lice Solution, Pronto Lice Kill System, R & C Lice Treatment Kit, Rid Pediculicide, Tegrin-LT Lice Treatment Kit, Triple X Pediculicide
What is A-200 Lice Control (piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical)?
Piperonyl butoxide is a chemical that stops the breakdown of pyrethrins, an insecticide chemical.
Piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical (for the skin) is a combination medicine used to treat lice.
Piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about A-200 Lice Control (piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical)?
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using A-200 Lice Control (piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical)?
You should not use piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical if you are allergic to it, or if you have an allergy to chrysanthemums or ragweed.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether this medicine will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether this medicine passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I use A-200 Lice Control (piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical)?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not use this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Lice infestations are highly contagious. All household members may need to be treated for lice. Lice can be spread from person to person by sharing a hairbrush, a comb, hats, or headbands. It can also be spread through head-to-head contact.
Apply the shampoo to dry hair. Shake well before use. Apply to all areas of the scalp, including behind the ears and neck. Treat hair from the roots to the ends and leave the shampoo in the hair for no longer than 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with warm water. The shampoo should be used again in 7 to 10 days to kill any newly hatched lice.
Keep your eyes tightly closed while using this medicine in your hair. You may use a washcloth or towel to protect your eyes while applying the medication to your head. Do not apply to your eyebrows or eyelashes. Call your doctor if these areas become infected with lice.
You will need to remove any eggs (nits) from the hair shafts with a special comb. Some lice products come provided with a nit comb. If you do not have such a comb, ask your pharmacist where you can get one. Nits may not be removed effectively with a regular fine-tooth comb.
Use this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the lice infestation is completely cleared. Call your doctor if your condition does not improve, or if your symptoms get worse while using this medication.
To prevent reinfection with lice, wash all clothing, hats, bed linens, stuffed toys, hair brushes, and combs in hot water with a strong cleanser to remove any mites or eggs. You may need to use a special lice control spray to treat furniture, mattresses, sports helmets, headphones, and other non-washable items. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about disinfecting your home.
Store the medicine at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Use the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while using A-200 Lice Control (piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical)?
Avoid using other medications or skin products on the areas you treat with piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical, unless your doctor tells you to.
Avoid getting this medication in your eyes, nose, mouth, or vagina. If this does happen, rinse with water. Do not use piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical on sunburned, windburned, dry, chapped, irritated, or broken skin.
Avoid close contact with others until the infection has been cured. Also avoid sharing hair combs, hair accessories, hats, clothing, bed linens, pillows, and other items of personal use.
A-200 Lice Control (piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins and call your doctor at once if you have severe stinging, burning, itching, swelling, or irritation where the medication is applied.
Common side effects may include:
mild itching, burning, or stinging;
mild skin rash; or
numbness or tingly feeling.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect A-200 Lice Control (piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical)?
It is not likely that other drugs you take orally or inject will have an effect on topically applied piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins. But many drugs can interact with each other. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
More about piperonyl butoxide/pyrethrins topical
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical anti-infectives
- Piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical
- Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide Gel and Liquid
- Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide Shampoo
- Pyrethrum extract and piperonyl butoxide Topical (Advanced Reading)
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 3.02. Revision Date: 2013-09-14, 11:00:00 AM.