Daily MedNews - November 2017
November 1, 2017
- Health Tip: Eating Healthier as You Age
- Health Tip: Sled Safer
- Health Highlights: Nov. 1, 2017
- Lack of Awareness May Spur Spread of Hep C
- Bad Hot Flashes, Sleep Apnea Often Go Together
- Does Your Medication Make You a Worse Driver?
- 5 Ways to Eat More Veggies
- A Teen Mom's Stress May Harm Her Heart
- US Preemie Birth Rates Rise 2 Years in a Row
- Improve Your Odds During Infertility Treatments
- Americans Stressed About Nation's Future, Poll Finds
- 'Drug Courts,' Treatment Focus of New White House Opioid Strategy
- Do Rising Cancer Drug Prices Warrant Regulation?
- Long Spaceflights Could Put Pressure on the Brain
- Gene Therapy, New Drug, Spinraza, Battle Rare Spinal Muscular Atrophy in Kids
- Liposuction May Ease Limb Swelling in Cancer Patients
November 2, 2017
- Health Tip: Fluoride Recommended For Young Children
- Health Tip: Handle Chicken With Care
- Health Highlights: Nov. 2, 2017
- Can You Trust the Labels on Your Supplements?
- Managing Anxiety
- Fiber-Rich Diet Boosts Survival From Colon Cancer
- Climate Change May Bring 'Browner' Waters, More Disease
- Even Advanced Breast Cancer Patients Gain From Exercise
- Robots May Be Cleaning Your Hospital Room Soon
- Resilient Brain Connections May Help Against Alzheimer's
- Treeless Tropics, More Disease-Carrying Mosquitoes?
- What Exercise Regimen Is Best for Healthy Weight Loss in Seniors?
- Sugary Drinks Increase Heart Disease Risk
- Are Artery-Opening Stents for Chest Pain a Waste of Time?
- Patients' Gut Bugs May Play Role in Cancer Care
- Kidney Failure Declining Among U.S. Diabetics: CDC
- Are You Sure That's What the Doctor Said About Your Leukemia?
- What Food Gets People's Attention? Junk Food, by Far
November 3, 2017
- Health Tip: Supporting Breast-feeding Moms on the Job
- Health Tip: Get to Know Your Pharmacist
- Health Highlights: Nov. 3, 2017
- Nursing Home Often Only Option for Single Men After Stroke
- Ready for the Time Change on Sunday?
- Working With Your School Nurse
- Call a Snack a Meal, and You're Less Apt to Overeat
- Are Stents Really Useless After Chest Pain? Cardiologists Not Sure
- New Finding Hints at Clue to Dementia
- What Drives Teen School Shooters
- Coffee May Be Kind to Your Kidneys
- People Tend to Overestimate Pain From Surgery
- Cord Blood Therapy for Cerebral Palsy Shows Promise
- Social Media Can Help Boost Weight Loss Success
- About Half of Americans Get Health Care in ER
November 4, 2017
November 5, 2017
November 6, 2017
- Health Tip: Stop Smoking
- Health Highlights: Nov. 6, 2017
- Health Tip: Deciphering Cosmetic Labels
- 5 Diet Minefields to Avoid
- TV Ads Still Push Unhealthy Foods at Kids
- Doctor Burnout: A Big Health Threat in U.S.
- With Cigarettes Out of Favor, Many U.S. Teens Also Shun Pot
- How Safe Are Your Drinking Glasses?
- Older Women Can 'Walk Away From the Grim Reaper'
- Zelboraf Approved for Rare Blood Cancer
- 'Good Ole Days' Were Better for Kids' Health, Adults Say
- Why Many Breast Cancer Patients Short-Circuit Their Treatment
- Could a Common Blood Thinner Lower Cancer Risk?
- Gun Injuries Getting More Severe, Experts Say
- Helping Children Cope When a Mass Tragedy Strikes
- Human vs. Animal Brainpower: More Alike Than You Might Think
- Abusing Pot, Booze Lowers Teens' Chances for Success in Life
November 7, 2017
- Health Tip: Defining Health Literacy
- Health Tip: Travel With a Blanket
- Health Highlights: Nov. 7, 2017
- Cooling Down Sibling Rivalries When They Heat Up
- Does All That Social Media Time Harm Young Minds?
- Here's Why You 'Space Out' After Too Little Sleep
- Opioids Not the Only Answer for Pain Relief in the ER
- Higher Prices Are Driving Rise in Health Care Spending
- It's 'Buyer Beware' When Purchasing Medical Pot Extract Online
- Yoga May Give Lung Cancer Patients, Caregivers a Boost
- Getting Self-Driving Cars on the Road Soon Might Save Lives
- Divers May Be Plunging Into A Whole Lot Of Injury Trouble
- West Nile's Long-Term Bite: Impact on Brain May Last Years
- Even Light Drinking May Raise Your Cancer Risk
- IUD May Lower Cervical Cancer Risk
- Waiting Even a Month to Remove Melanoma Can Be Deadly
- Early Humans Grew Taller Long Before Bulking Up
November 8, 2017
- Health Tip: Prevent Germs at the Doctor's Office
- Health Tip: Choosing Smarter Foods
- Health Highlights: Nov. 8, 2017
- What Really Works to Fight a Stubborn Cough?
- These Foods May Help Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain
- 5 Smart Alternatives to Processed Foods
- Some Guys Can't Stay Away From Tanning Beds
- Will This Year's Flu Shot Be as Weak as Last Season's?
- Your Friends May Be Key to a Healthy Aging Brain
- Genes May Explain Why Some Don't Respond to Bipolar Drug
- Brain Beats Brawn in Quest for Energy
- Daytime Wounds May Heal Faster Than Nighttime Ones
- Could Facial Recognition Studies in Sheep Help Understand Huntington's Disease?
- An Aging Heart May Weaken Memory
- Surgical Residents Prime Candidates for Stress, Depression, Alcohol Abuse
- Risk of Breast Cancer's Return Can Linger for Decades
- A Dangerous New Twist on Cyberbullying
November 9, 2017
- Health Tip: What's Healthy Blood Pressure?
- Health Tip: Accept Help if Your Child Has Cancer
- Health Highlights: Nov. 9, 2017
- Low-Fat Diet, Low-Carb Diet -- or 'Low Both'?
- HPV Vaccine Linked to Drop in Cases of Rare Childhood Disease
- 'Old' Lungs May Be Good Transplant Options
- Doctors Prescribing Too Many Opioids After Nose Jobs
- Childhood Spanking Could Heighten Adult Mental Health Woes
- Menus With Calorie Counts Seem to Be Paying Off
- 1 in 5 Americans Still Uses Tobacco, Gov't. Reports
- Switching to Whole Grain Foods Could Trim Your Waistline
- Low-Fat Diet May Cut Pancreatic Cancer Risk for Overweight Older Women
- Could Fish Oil, Vitamin D Help Ease Lupus?
- Know the Signs of Ovarian Cancer and Your Risks
- Does Your Pet Have a Weight Problem? Here's How to Tell
- Smog May Harm Your Bones, Too
- Bio-Engineered Mosquitoes to be Released In U.S.
November 10, 2017
- Health Tip: Recognize Symptoms of Oral Cancer
- Health Tip: Understanding COPD
- Health Highlights: Nov. 10, 2017
- The Heart Risks of a Desk Job
- Putting Out the Welcome Mat for Household Bugs
- Sleep Apnea May Boost Alzheimer's Risk
- Obesity to Blame for Epidemic of Knee Dislocations, Complications
November 11, 2017
November 12, 2017
- Does Sex Really Trigger Cardiac Arrest?
- Healthier Diet, Less Salt: The Recipe to Beat High Blood Pressure
- Binge-Watchers, Beware: All That TV Time Poses Clot Risk
November 13, 2017
- Health Tip: Participating in a Clinical Trial
- Health Tip: Cook Your Turkey Safely
- Health Highlights: Nov. 13, 2017
- Lunchtime H2O May Be Key to Curbing Kids' Obesity
- Holiday Parties Minus the Calorie Crunch
- Knowing Too Much About Your Genes Might Be Risky
- Prolonged Breast-Feeding May Guard Against Teen Eczema
- Want to Prevent Heart Disease? Go Nuts
- Younger People With Diabetes Have 7 Times Greater Risk of Sudden Heart Death
- Take Heart, Coffee Lovers, Morning Joe May Help Your Ticker
- Definition of High Blood Pressure Drops
- Commitment Is Key for Online Quit-Smoking Groups
- Middle-Aged and Impaired? More Common Than You Might Think
- Uninsured Heart Patients Often Face Daunting Bills
- Motor On, Heart Patients: Electric Cars Don't Harm Cardiac Implants
November 14, 2017
- Health Tip: Spread Awareness of the Opioid Epidemic
- Health Tip: Stay Safe as a Pedestrian
- FDA OKs First 'Digital Pill', Abilify Mycite, That Lets Doctors Know It's Been Taken
- Help for Seasonal Depression
- Swings in Blood Pressure Can Pose Long-Term Dangers
- Is Too Much Time Online Raising Suicide Risk in Teen Girls?
- Health Highlights: Nov. 14, 2017
- Try This Diet to Lower Your Risk of Heart Failure
- America's Love Affair With Sugary Sodas Is Fading
- 'Digital Pill', Abilify Mycite, Tells Doctor When Patient Takes It
- Psychedelic Amazonian Drug, Ayahuasca, Might Ease Symptoms of Depression, Alcoholism
- FDA Warns of Herbal Supplement Kratom's Opioid-Like Harms
- Weighing Too Much or Too Little When Pregnant Can Be Risky
- Is Meth Use Destroying Vets' Hearts?
- New 'Heat-Not-Burn' Cigarettes Harm Blood Vessels: Study
- Is Low-Dose Aspirin Right for You After Surgery?
- With Stress and Trauma Come Excess Weight
- Your Blood Type May Determine How Smog Affects Your Heart
- Can Treating Gum Disease Keep Blood Pressure in Line?
November 15, 2017
- Health Tip: Hearing Loss May Affect Brain Health
- Health Tip: Stress Can Impact Sleep
- Health Highlights: Nov. 15, 2017
- U.S. May Still Benefit From Climate Accord
- Study Untangles Disparity in Colon Cancer Survival Rates
- Diabetes May Be Driving High Rates of Breast Cancer in Black Women
- Millions Could Miss Out on a Potential Alzheimer's Breakthrough
- Top Meds To Treat Opioid Addiction Equally Safe, Effective
- How to Do a Skin Cancer Body Check
- Why a Headache Feels So Draining
- Pricey ER Tests for Chest Pain Often Unnecessary
- Mepsevii Approved for Rare Enzyme Disorder
- Could Your Cat Give You 'Bird Flu?'
- Staying Active May Lower Odds for Glaucoma
- Don't Fret Delays in Treating Colon Cancer, Study Suggests
- 'Fountain of Youth' Gene Discovered in Secluded Amish Community
- Virtual Reality: A Helping Hand After Stroke
- U.S. Seniors Struggle More to Pay for Health Care Compared to Other Countries
- Trauma Greets Many Illegal Immigrants in U.S.
- Cardiac Arrest Rare in Young Athletes But Tough to Predict
November 16, 2017
- Health Tip: If There's a Wildfire Nearby
- Health Tip: Talking With Your Child's Cancer-Care Team
- Health Highlights: Nov. 16, 2017
- If Dad Has Depression, Kids Might Develop It, Too
- Preventing Sports Injuries
- Kids Still Getting Risky Painkiller Codeine After Tonsillectomy
- Face It: Drinking, Smoking Takes Toll on Looks
- Obamacare May Have Helped More Americans Quit Smoking
- One Type of Diet Can Add Years to Your Life
- Breathing Dirty Air May Raise Miscarriage Risk
- New Hemophilia A Treatment, Hemlibra (Emicizumab-kxwh), Stems Bleeding Episodes
- Hospital Midwives, Lower C-Section Rates?
- FDA Seeks to Speed Development of 'Regenerated' Organs for Medical Use
- CDC Wants America to Eat Its Fruits and Veggies
- Many Hospice Workers Lack Their Own End-of-Life Directives
- 'Boomers' Doing Better at Avoiding Eye Disease of Aging
- The Best and Worst Ways to Say 'I Love You'
- Calm Parents Help Calm Kids With ADHD
- Spare the Rod, Spur Better Behavior?
November 17, 2017
- Health Highlights: Nov. 17, 2017
- Health Tip: Safety Advice for the Holidays
- Health Tip: A Pet May Improve Your Health
- Office Workers Don't Like Being Chained to Their Desks
- 5 Tasty Diet Desserts
- Hey, Single Folk: Adopting a Dog Could Lengthen Your Life
- Can Girls Help Boost Boys' Reading Scores?
- Dr. Tommy John Hopes Fewer Young Athletes Need Dad's Namesake Surgery
- Could New 'Brain Training' Program Help Prevent Dementia?
- Flu Shot Could Help Your Kid Avoid Hospital
- Poor Prognosis for Diabetic Foot Sores
- Gulf War Illness, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Are Distinct Disorders: Study
- More Patients Are Having a Say in Their Medical Care
November 18, 2017
November 19, 2017
November 20, 2017
- Shaming Overweight Kids Only Makes Things Worse
- Health Tip: Infant Medication Advice For New Moms
- Health Tip: How Much Exercise Do You Need?
- Health Highlights: Nov. 20, 2017
- Most U.S. Parents Can't Find Good Childcare: Survey
- Heavier Women May Need Mammograms More Often
- Motorcycle Crashes Far More Deadly Than Car Crashes
- Teens' Painkiller Misuse Linked to Dating Violence
- Family Vacations That Are Fun for All
- Cancer Survivors Can Develop PTSD, Too
- Quickly Treating Mini-Stroke Can Cut Risk for Future Stroke
- Diabetes, High Blood Pressure While Pregnant Spells Trouble Later On
- When Treating Infertility, Vitamin D Levels May Be Key
- Severe Psoriasis May Make Diabetes Increasingly Likely
- How to Spot an Eating Disorder
- Babies Start Connecting Words Early On
November 21, 2017
- Health Tip: Diabetes Affects Women Differently
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Osteoporosis
- Health Highlights: Nov. 21, 2017
- Getting Annual Flu Shot Won't Weaken Your Immune System
- Women Still Want Annual Mammograms
- Male Triathletes May Be Harming Their Hearts
- Everything You Need to Know About Exercise and Hydration
- Self-Harm Cases Surging Among U.S. Girls
- Almost 21 Million Worldwide Now Have Access to HIV Meds
- Insulin Pill May Delay Type 1 Diabetes in Some
- Is a Common Shoulder Surgery Useless?
- Sunrise, Sunset: Ancient Rhythms Still Dictate Human Life
- Report: Industry Hid Decades-Old Study Showing Sugar's Unhealthy Effects
- Opioid Crisis Hitting Boomers, Millennials Hardest
- Prep, Patience Help Keep the Family Peace at Thanksgiving
- Spread Joy, Not Foodborne Illness, for Thanksgiving
November 22, 2017
- Health Tip: Travel Safely With a Child
- Health Tip: Identify Risk Factors for Anorexia
- Health Highlights: Nov. 22, 2017
- It's the Latest Diet Craze, But Is It Safe?
- An Exercise Game Plan for Boomers
- Smoggy Air May Spawn Weaker Sperm
- 1 in 4 U.S. Seniors With Cancer Has Had It Before
- The Booze You Choose Can Sway Your Mood
- How to Stay Out of the ER This Thanksgiving
- Medicaid Tied to Better Addiction Treatment in Pregnancy
- Liver Fluke Parasite May Threaten Lives of Hundreds of Vietnam War Veterans
- Easy Ways to Keep Holiday Eating in Check
November 23, 2017
- Health Tip: Ease Your Child's Worry During Vaccinations
- Health Tip: Prevent Fire Deaths and Injuries
- How to Safely Navigate Diabetes and Thanksgiving
- Thanksgiving Overeating Could Spell Kidney Problems
- Arthritis Didn't Afflict Famed Clone Sheep, Experts Say
- Nature Walks Nurture Family Bonds
November 24, 2017
- Health Tip: Is Stress Interfering With Your Child's Sleep?
- Health Tip: Prevent Respiratory Infections
- The Right Way to Use Resistance Bands
- Who's Most Distracted Behind the Wheel?
- For Seniors, Any Physical Activity Is Better Than None
- The Silver Lining Behind Household Chores
November 25, 2017
November 26, 2017
November 27, 2017
- Health Highlights: Nov. 27, 2017
- Health Tip: Seniors at Heightened Risk of Foodborne Illness
- Health Tip: How to Clean a Breast Pump
- A Pantry Makeover for a Healthier Diet
- Memo to Doctors: Spit Out the Bad News
- Seeking Better Sleep? Here's One Simple Step to Help
- Bullied Teens More Likely to Take Weapons to School
- Can Trees Curb Asthma Flare-Ups in Polluted Cities?
- Zika Nerve Damage May Stem From Body's Response to the Virus
- Controversial MS Treatment Procedure Found to Be Ineffective
- With Diabetes, Be on the Alert for Foot Sores
- From Horses to Humans: Uncovering a Clue to Sore Throats
- Is It Time to Scrap the Pap Test?
- Pot May Alter Brain Function of Some With HIV
- Arthritis No Longer Just a Disease of the Old
November 28, 2017
- Health Highlights: Nov. 28, 2017
- Health Tip: Prevent Drowsy Driving
- Health Tip: Why Get a Cholesterol Test?
- This Weight-Loss Strategy May Not Help Your Knees
- Care for Caregivers
- Sniffing Out the Best Allergy Treatment
- How Fast-Food Cues Can Lead You to Overeat
- 6 Percent of Cancers Caused by Excess Weight, Diabetes
- Don't Delay Hip Fracture Surgery. Here's Why
- Chronic Pain Common Among Those Who OD on Opioids
- HIV Diagnoses Occurring More Quickly, CDC Says
- More Docs Specializing in Nursing Home Care
- Intense Workouts May Boost Memory
- Patients React Poorly When Docs Say 'No'
November 29, 2017
- Health Tip: Choose Healthier Snacks
- Health Tip: Identifying Common Bladder Problems in Women
- Health Highlights: Nov. 29, 2017
- Bone Treats a Dangerous Stocking Stuffer for Dogs
- Electrical Pulses May Ease Pain From 'Slipped' Disc
- Don't Be a Dumbbell: Work Out With Weights
- What You Don't Know About Drug Interactions Could Hurt You
- Many NFL Players Found to Have Enlarged Aortas
- Steroid Injections for Arthritic Hips: More Trouble Than They're Worth?
- Does Marriage Help Preserve Your Brain?
- Mom's Childhood Trauma May Affect Daughter, Too
- New 'Patch' May Repair Damaged Hearts
- Chuck Norris Says MRI Dye Harmed Wife's Brain, But Study Finds No Link
- Modern Times May Mean Weaker Biceps for Women
- Small Changes Could Keep Seniors Driving Longer
- New Migraine Drugs, Erenumab and Fremanezumab, Show Promise
- 60 Percent of U.S. Kids Could Be Obese by Age 35
November 30, 2017
- Health Tip: Childproof Your Home
- Health Tip: Drive Safely During a Snow Storm
- Health Highlights: Nov. 30, 2017
- Study: Tougher Gun Laws Help Prevent Domestic Violence Deaths
- Time Management for Busy Families
- Another Opioid Scourge: Dangerous Infections
- 'Pill Mill' Docs Only Partly to Blame for Opioid Epidemic
- U.S.-Funded HIV Prevention Effort Reaps Rewards in Uganda
- Resistance to Popular Antibiotic Likely Began Years Before Human Use
- Does 'Smartphone Addiction' Show Up in Teens' Brains?
- Newborns in Pain Might Not Show It
- Do Receding Hairlines Mean Receding Heart Health in Men?
- Patients More Prone to Complain About Younger Doctors
- Cops on 'Spice' Raids Getting High by Accident
- Could Your Coffee Habit Lengthen Your Life?
Daily MedNews Archive
2018January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
2017January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
2016January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
2015January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December