Can you drink alcohol while taking Humira?
- Drinking alcohol in moderation may be safe for some people while using Humira (adalimumab), although specific studies from the manufacturer are not available.
- Specific drug interactions between alcohol and Humira are not noted in the package insert, but a reaction still may be possible depending upon your medical conditions, risk factors and other medications that you take.
- Possible alcohol drug interactions can occur with other medicines that may be used with Humira, including methotrexate, NSAIDs and corticosteroids like prednisone.
- Ask your doctor if you can safely combine alcohol with Humira
Drinking in moderation is considered as having up to 1 drink per day for women and up to 2 drinks per day for men, or not drinking at all, based on CDC Dietary Guidelines.
Some conditions treated by Humira, such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, may be worsened by consumption of alcohol. Certain foods and beverages can aggravate these bowel diseases, especially during a flare-up. It is best to avoid alcohol if it worsens your symptoms.
Humira is commonly used to treat rheumatoid arthritis. Many patients who use Humira also use methotrexate to help control their symptoms. Methotrexate is broken down (metabolized) in the liver. In general, long-term use of methotrexate can also lead to liver toxicity. Most health care providers recommend that patients avoid or limit alcohol consumption when using methotrexate.
Can alcohol worsen liver damage with Humira?
Humira is noted as a possible cause of serious liver damage, including acute liver failure, in the product label. Alcohol in large quantities can also lead to long-term liver damage. Combining these two agents may worsen your liver function.
In addition, elevations in liver enzymes, which may signal the start of liver damage, have been reported with Humira, although patients were also taking other drugs that might have affected their liver function.
What are the signs of liver damage?
Signs and symptoms of of liver damage may include:
- joint pain or swelling
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- skin rash
- loss of appetite
- stomach pain
- dark urine
- pale stools
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
Call your doctor immediately if you notice any of these symptoms.
Always be sure to inform your doctor and pharmacist of all the medications you take, including over-the-counter (OTC) drugs, vitamins, dietary supplements and herbal products.
Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.
- For some people, drinking alcohol in moderation may be safe while using Humira, although studies from the manufacturer are not available.
- In patients at risk of liver disease, or with current liver disease, the use of alcohol may not be safe. Humira itself is noted as a possible cause of serious liver damage in the product label.
- Some intestinal conditions treated by Humira, such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, may be worsened by consumption of alcohol, leading to flare-ups.
- It is always best to talk to your doctor about alcohol use with any medication, including Humira.
This is not all the information you need to know about Humira (adalimumab) for safe and effective use. Review the full Humira information here, and discuss this information with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Humira Injection [package insert]. North Chicago, IL: AbbVie Inc. Accessed April 5, 2021 at https://www.rxabbvie.com/pdf/humira.pdf
- Methotrexate and Alcohol / Food Interactions. Drugs.com. Accessed April 5, 2021 at https://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/methotrexate.html?professional=1
- Alcohol and Public Health. Frequently Asked Questions. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Accessed April 5, 2021 at https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm
- Dietary Guidelines for Alcohol. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Accessed April 5, 2021 at https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/moderate-drinking.htm
Related Medical Questions
- What happens when you stop taking Humira?
- Does Humira cause weight gain or weight loss?
- How long does it take for Humira to work?
- How much does Humira cost without insurance?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- How long can you stay on Humira?
- How long can Humira be out of the fridge?
- What causes Plaque Psoriasis?
- Is Humira an immunosuppressant?
- How do you inject Humira?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of plaque psoriasis?
- How many biosimilars have been approved in the United States?
- Can you take Humira with antibiotics?
- Cosentyx vs Humira: How do they compare?
- What is the difference between Amjevita and Humira?
- Humira Information for Consumers
- Humira Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Humira (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Humira (54 questions, 358 members)