Is Opdivo a chemotherapy or immunotherapy drug?
Opdivo is an immunotherapy treatment. It belongs to the class of medicines known as checkpoint inhibitors and works by blocking the PD-1 (programmed death receptor-1) pathway to help prevent cancer cells from hiding from the immune system, boosting the immune system's response against cancer.
- Opdivo (nivolumab) Updated 05/2022. E.R. Squibb & Sons, L.L.C. https://www.drugs.com/pro/opdivo.html
Related medical questions
- What are monoclonal antibodies?
- How long does Opdivo prolong life and what’s its success rate?
- How long does Opdivo take to work and how do you know if it's working?
- What is the difference between Opdivo and Keytruda?
- How long does Opdivo stay in your system?
- What happens when you stop taking Opdivo for melanoma?
- How are Opdivo and Yervoy administered?
- Is Opdivo approved for treating bladder cancer?
- Is Xalkori the same as Opdivo or Keytruda?
- Pembrolizumab vs. nivolumab: how do they compare?
- What is a biologic drug?
- Opdivo Information for Consumers
- Opdivo prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Opdivo (detailed)
Related support groups
- Opdivo (16 questions, 51 members)