How long does it take Sernivo to work?
- In patients with mild-to-moderate plaque psoriasis using Sernivo Spray (betamethasone dipropionate 0.05%), almost 75% of plaques on elbows and knees were clear or almost clear of redness and scaling after a period of 29 days.
- Itching was decreased by 50% at day 4 in some patients, and significant treatment effects with Sernivo started as early as day 8 when compared to a vehicle treatment (spray with no active drug).
- Sernivo Spray is a mid-potency topical corticosteroid approved for up to 4 weeks of use to treat plaque psoriasis in adults.
In two clinical studies, 538 adult patients who had plaque psoriasis on 10% to 20% of their body surface area received treatment with Sernivo or vehicle. Treatment success with Sernivo was defined as clear or almost clear skin (Investigator Global Assessment) and at least a 2 grade reduction from symptoms present at the start of the study.
- By day 8, 11% of patients receiving Sernivo had achieved treatment success in one study, compared to 4% with vehicle (p=0.010)
- By day 15, 20.3% of patients receiving Sernivo had achieved treatment success, compared to 5% with vehicle (p<0.001) - the primary endpoint.
- By day 29, 38.7% of patients receiving Sernivo had achieved treatment success, compared to 12.6% with vehicle - secondary endpoint (p<0.001)
- In patients with mild-to-moderate plaque psoriasis, almost 75% of knee and elbow plaques were clear or almost clear of redness and scaling after a period of 29 days.
- Itching was decreased by 50% at day 4 in some patients.
- By day 15, about 20% of patients receiving Sernivo had achieved significant treatment success, compared to 5% with the vehicle.
This is not all the information you need to know about Sernivo Spray for safe and effective use. Review the full Sernivo Spray information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Sidgiddi S, Pakunlu RI, Allenby K. Efficacy, Safety, and Potency of Betamethasone Dipropionate Spray 0.05%: A Treatment for Adults with Mild-to-moderate Plaque Psoriasis. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2018;11(4):14-22. PMID: 29657667
- Sernivo (betamethasone dipropionate 0.05% spray). [product label]. Encore Dermatology, Inc., Scottsdale, AZ. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2016/208079lbl.pdf
Related medical questions
- Sernivo Information for Consumers
- Sernivo prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Sernivo (detailed)
Related support groups
- Sernivo (2 questions, 3 members)