How does Invega Trinza work?
- Invega Trinza (paliperidone palmitate) is a long-acting injection given every 3 months that works by adjusting the balance of natural chemicals (neurotransmitters) in your brain. It is used to treat schizophrenia, a serious mental health disorder.
- Invega Trinza affects neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin to help certain cells to communicate with each other.
- Symptoms in schizophrenia such as hallucinations, agitation, and disorganized thinking and behavior can be decreased by restoring the balance of these neurotransmitters.
Remembering to take a daily medication can be difficult for some patients with schizophrenia. Using a long-acting medication like Invega Trinza may help patients with schizophrenia to stay on their treatment regimen more easily, prevent hospitalization and have a better quality of life.
Exactly how Invega Trinza works in schizophrenia is not known but research suggests its action is by blocking dopamine Type 2 (D2) and serotonin Type 2 (5HT2A) receptors in the brain. Paliperidone palmitate is hydrolyzed to paliperidone, and paliperidone is the major active metabolite of risperidone.
What is Invega Trinza used for?
Invega Trinza (paliperidone palmitate) is an atypical antipsychotic injection given every three months for the treatment of patients with schizophrenia, a long-term, serious mental health disorder.
- Schizophrenia affects how your brain interprets reality and your surroundings.
- You may have trouble determining what is real and what is not real. You may see, hear or believe things that are not real.
- Your thinking can be disorganized and you may have trouble in social or working environments, affecting your daily functioning.
Invega Trinza is injected into a muscle by a health care provider. Before you can receive Invega Trinza, you must have been adequately treated with Invega Sustenna (paliperidone palmitate), an injection you would receive once a month for at least four months.
Invega Trinza is not for treating dementia-related psychosis.
- Invega Trinza (paliperidone palmitate) is a medication for schizophrenia that works by adjusting the balance of natural chemicals (neurotransmitters) in your brain.
- Neurotransmitters, such as dopamine and serotonin, help certain cells to communicate with each other.
- Symptoms such as hallucinations, agitation, and disorganized thinking and behavior can be decreased by restoring the balance of these neurotransmitters.
This is not all the information you need to know about Invega Trinza for safe and effective use. Review the full Invega Trinza information here, and discuss this information with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Invega Trinza [paliperidone palmitate] 3-month injection. Janssen Pharmaceuticals. Titusville, NJ. Accessed Oct. 8, 2020 at https://www.invegatrinza.com/
Related medical questions
- How often is Invega Trinza given?
- Can you drink alcohol while taking Invega Sustenna?
- Invega Sustenna vs Invega Trinza vs Invega Hafyera. What's the difference?
- How to transition to Invega Trinza from Invega Sustenna ?
- How to transition to Invega Hayfera from Invega Trinza or Invega Sustenna?
- How do you give an Invega Sustenna injection?
- How is Invega Trinza administered?
- Invega Trinza Information for Consumers
- Invega Trinza Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Invega Trinza (detailed)
Related support groups
- Invega Trinza (6 questions, 3 members)