White chicken chiliServes 8
To boost flavor, add a variety of beans, such as kidney or black beans, or add more vegetables. Just be sure to increase the amount of chicken broth to accommodate the added ingredients.
- 1 can (10 ounces) white chunk chicken
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) low-sodium white beans, drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 8 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
In a large soup pot, add the chicken, beans, tomatoes and chicken broth. Cover and simmer over medium heat.
Meanwhile, spray a nonstick frying pan with cooking spray. Add the onions, peppers and garlic and saute until the vegetables are soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the onion and pepper mixture to the soup pot. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano and, as desired, cayenne pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until all the vegetables are soft.
Ladle into warmed bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese and garnish with cilantro.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||About 1 1/2 cups|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Fat||4 g|
Last updated: December 1st, 2017