Recipe: Vegetable, lentil and garbanzo bean stew
Medically reviewed on December 4, 2017.Serves 8
This vegan stew is a one-pot meal. Add chopped spinach or kale prior to serving if you like. It won't significantly change the calorie count.
- 3 cups butternut squash (approximately 1 1/2 -2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 can (16 ounces) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
In a Dutch oven, slowly sweat vegetables (squash, carrots, onions and garlic) over low to medium heat until onions just start to brown. Stir in vegetable stock and scrape up the browned bits of vegetables on the bottom of the pan.
Add lentils, tomato paste and seasonings. Cover and continue to cook over medium-low heat until lentils and squash are soft (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours). Stir occasionally. Or at this step transfer ingredients to slow cooker and cook for 4-6 hours on low setting.
Stir in lemon juice and garbanzo beans. Serve warm and top with chopped peanuts and cilantro.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||About 2 cups|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Fat||7 g|