Summer vegetable soup
Medically reviewed on September 15, 2016Serves 8
Take advantage of the wealth of summer vegetables and herbs to make this flavorful soup. Despite the long list ingredients, the soup comes together quickly.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 plum (Roma) tomatoes, peeled and seeded, then diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups no salt added vegetable stock or broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 cup)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds; don't let the garlic brown. Add the tomatoes, oregano and cumin and saute until the tomatoes are softened, about 4 minutes.
Add the stock and bay leaf and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and bring to a simmer. Add the carrot and bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add the zucchini and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes longer. Stir in the lemon zest and cilantro. Season with the salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf.
Ladle into individual bowls or mugs and serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||About 1 1/4 cups|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||<1 g|
|Total Fat||2 g|