Recipe: Steamy salmon chowder
Medically reviewed on Jun 4, 2018Serves 8
This variation on traditional clam chowder uses salmon — a source of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups frozen country-style hash browns with green pepper and onion
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 ounces pouched or canned pink salmon (bones removed)
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated skim milk
- 1 can (14 3/4 ounces) no-salt-added, cream-style corn
In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute olive oil and celery for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
Add the chicken broth, hash browns, peas and carrots, dill and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are done but not overcooked.
Add the salmon, separating it into pieces with a fork. Stir in the evaporated milk and corn and cook until heated through.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||About 1 cup|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Total Fat||2.5 g|