Recipe: Southwestern vegan bowlServes 6
Medically reviewed on Jan 5, 2018
This one-bowl meal is loaded with vitamins A, C and K, and is high in fiber.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 1 chili pepper of your choice, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cups no-salt-added vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 4 lime wedges
In a large saute pan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, peppers, garlic, sweet potato and tomato. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until onions begin to look translucent.
Add rice, lentils, spices, vinegar, stock and water. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer. Cover and cook for 45 minutes.
To serve, toss with kale, black beans and cilantro. Garnish with lime wedges.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||1 bowl (about 2 cups)|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Fat||4 g|