Southwestern chicken and pasta
Medically reviewed on April 6, 2017Serves 4
To reduce the amount of sodium in this recipe, replace commercial salsa with homemade.
- 1 cup uncooked whole-wheat rigatoni
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each 4 ounces, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 cups canned unsalted tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh or canned corn
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack and colby cheese
Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until tender (al dente). Drain the pasta thoroughly.
While pasta is cooking, spray a large, heavy skillet with cooking spray. Over medium heat, saute the chicken until browned and opaque throughout, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in the salsa, tomato sauce, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, black beans and corn. Stir thoroughly and cook until heated through. Add the pasta and gently toss to mix evenly.
Divide the pasta between individual plates. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||About 1 1/2 cups|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||5 g|