Recipe: Smoky bean and mushroom cornucopias
Medically reviewed on Apr 30, 2018Serves 6
This hearty dish is an excellent source of fiber.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped Crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 8 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 ounces fat-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup hot water (150-175 F)
- 6 whole-wheat tortillas (6 inches in diameter, cut in half)
- 2 teaspoons lime zest (optional garnish)
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Place oil in saute pan and cook the garlic for 1 minute. Next, add onion and cook until it begins to brown. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes longer. Add peppers and cook for 1 minute then add in spinach, beans and chili powder and remove from heat. Let cool for 5 minutes and then fold in sour cream and liquid smoke.
To assemble: Lay tortillas out on counter and brush the edges lightly with hot water. Using your finger, pinch the two edges together to form seal, thus creating the cornucopia shell. Place rolled tortilla shell on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Fill tortillas with stuffing and bake for 20-25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 F. Serve immediately with your favorite salsa.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||2 pieces|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||7 g|