Smoked Gouda vegetable risottoServes 8
You can change this risotto with the seasons. In summer, try asparagus and zucchini. In fall, butternut squash and peppers.
- 2 cups cooked brown sushi rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup white wine, Chablis or chardonnay
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 cups crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups cherry or sweet grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
Cook brown rice according to package instructions. Set aside.
Heat a large saute pan to medium heat. Add olive oil. When oil becomes hot, add onions, carrots and garlic. Saute until vegetables are soft. Add cooked brown rice. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in 1/2 cup white wine, stirring continuously. Once the liquid is absorbed by the rice, add 1/2 cup chicken stock. Continue to stir. Continue this process until all the liquid has been used and absorbed. (Once all the wine has been added, continue with chicken stock. Be careful not to turn on high heat, or you will create more evaporation than absorption.) Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, thyme and cheese. Stir until cheese is well-incorporated. Add half-and-half, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||5 g|
Last updated: May 21st, 2016