Sichuan broccoli and cauliflower
Medically reviewed on November 18, 2016Serves 6
Equal measures of green beans, bell peppers or other favorite vegetables can be substituted in this quick and easy recipe.
- 3 cups 1/2-inch cauliflower florets
- 3 cups 1/2-inch broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon chili paste or red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced on the diagonal (about 1 cup)
- 1 green (spring) onion, green top only, thinly sliced on the diagonal
Bring a large saucepan 3/4 full of water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and broccoli and return to a boil. Cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 1 minute. Drain the vegetables and then plunge them into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain again and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the oyster sauce, water and chili paste. Set aside.
In a large, heavy nonstick frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Don't let the garlic brown. Add the carrot and saute for 1 minute. Add the cauliflower and broccoli and stir until just tender, about 2 minutes. Add the oyster sauce mixture and toss until the sauce is evenly distributed and the mixture is heated through, about 1 minute.
Transfer to a warmed serving dish and garnish with the green onion. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||About 1 cup|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Total Fat||3 g|