Recipe: Shrimp and grits
Medically reviewed on April 9, 2018Serves 8
This is a Mediterranean twist on a Southern favorite.
For the grits:
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cup of grits (not de-germinated)
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the shrimp topping:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions including the green tops, cut into half-inch pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sundried tomatoes (pat off oil), or about 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red or green bell pepper
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp (about 16 to 20 per pound)
- 5 stuffed green olives, sliced
- 5 black olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges (optional)
Have all other ingredients prepared and measured — this recipe goes fast. It is also beneficial to serve on heated plates.
In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk in grits to ensure no clumping. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the butter. Cover and keep warm. (NOTE: Moist grits — not dry — that are about the consistency of moist mashed potatoes taste best in this recipe. Add or decrease liquid for desired consistency.)
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add green onions, garlic and sundried tomatoes. Stir and saute until fragrant. (If using cherry tomatoes, you may crush them once they are heated and cook into the onion/garlic mixture.)
Add diced peppers and shrimp. Continue to stir and sauté until shrimp are pink and just cooked through. Stir in sliced olives and capers and heat through.
Onto each plate smear about 1/4 cup grits and divide shrimp mixture equally among plates. Top each with just a few crumbles of goat cheese, a twist of cracked black pepper and some parsley. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||1/4 cup grits with about 1 cup of shrimp toppings|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||7 g|