Recipe: Quinoa saladServes 4
Medically reviewed on Jun 19, 2018
Quinoa, an ancient grain from South America, is rich in B vitamins and minerals. It also has antioxidants and heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the quinoa is tender.
Remove quinoa from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Then fluff quinoa with a fork and spread it out onto a large rimmed baking sheet to cool.
In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, garlic and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil.
After the quinoa has cooled, transfer it to a large bowl and add the dressing, cucumber, tomatoes, parsley and onion. Top with feta cheese and toss gently to mix.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||About 2 cups|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Fat||13 g|