Medically reviewed on May 21, 2018Serves 8
If you can't find fresh Fresno chili peppers, use dried red pepper flakes instead. Start with 1/2 teaspoon and add more to taste.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 Fresno chili peppers, chopped
- 1 1/2 garlic cloves, diced
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 butternut squash, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
In a large stockpot over medium heat, add the oil. Saute onions, tomatoes, Fresno peppers and garlic for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the vegetable stock and squash. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
Once squash is tender (about 15 minutes), place soup into a blender in small batches and puree until smooth. Return soup to the pot. Stir in salt, pepper and sugar. Sprinkle parsley on top before serving.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Fat||4 g|