Recipe: Mixed bean salad
Medically reviewed on Jun 18, 2018Serves 8
Beans are a good way to add fiber to your diet, especially soluble fiber. Generally, 1 cup of cooked beans provides 9 to 13 grams of fiber. The soluble fiber can help lower blood cholesterol. Beans are also high in protein, complex carbohydrates and iron.
- 1 can (15 ounces) unsalted green beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) unsalted wax beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) unsalted kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) unsalted garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- Sugar substitute, if desired
In a large bowl, combine the beans and onion. Stir gently to mix evenly.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the orange juice and vinegar. Add sugar substitute for desired sweetness.
Pour the orange juice mixture over the bean mixture. Stir to coat evenly. Let stand 30 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||3/4 cup (generous)|
|Total Fat||2 g|