Recipe: Minestrone soupServes 4
Minestrone is a thick, hearty soup that usually contains vegetables, pasta, and peas or beans. This version uses unsalted chicken broth and fresh tomatoes rather than canned tomatoes to limit the sodium content.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups fat-free, unsalted chicken broth
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1 can (16 ounces or about 1 1/2 cups) canned chickpeas or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole-grain small shell pasta
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Stir in broth, tomatoes, spinach, beans and pasta. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add zucchini. Cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
Remove from heat and stir in the basil. Ladle into individual bowls and serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||About 2 cups|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Fat||5 g|
Last updated: June 18th, 2014