Recipe: HummusServes 14
Serve this easy Mediterranean spread with warmed whole-wheat pita bread. For a different taste you can substitute white, butter or lima beans for garbanzos and 1 teaspoon toasted ground cumin seeds for the paprika.
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) reduced-sodium garbanzos, rinsed and drained except for 1/4 cup liquid
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)*
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
*Note: If you need to follow a gluten-free diet, check the label to make sure the brand of tahini is gluten-free.
In a blender or food processor, add the garbanzos. Process to puree. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, paprika, tahini and parsley. Blend well. Add the reserved liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture has the consistency of a thick spread. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||1/4 cup|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||<1 g|
|Total Fat||3 g|
Last updated: May 20th, 2014