Medically reviewed on May 14, 2018Serves 4
This spicy shrimp dish is delicious over brown rice. Leftover seasoning blend can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Use it to add kick to cornbread, stewed chicken, rice or soups.
Creole seasoning blend:
- 2 1/4 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 medium chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 20-25 shrimp)
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning blend
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Dash of tabasco sauce
To prepare the seasoning blend, combine the herbs and spices in a small bowl. Set aside.
In a large saute pan, add oil and heat to medium-high heat. Saute the onions, green pepper and celery until soft and tender, about 8 minutes. Lower heat. Season vegetables with salt and cayenne pepper. Then add tomatoes, garlic and bay leaf. Let simmer about 2 minutes.
In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp and 2 teaspoons of Creole seasoning blend. Mix well. In a small bowl, combine water, flour and tabasco sauce. Pour over the tomato mixture in the saute pan. Add seasoned shrimp to pan and cook until pink and tails curl, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Fat||5 g|