Creamed Swiss chard
Medically reviewed on Aug 7, 2018Serves 8
Available year-round, Swiss chard is among the most tender and sweet of the cooking greens. Like all dark leafy greens, it's high in nutrients.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat plain soy milk
- 2 pounds Swiss chard, washed, stemmed and cut crosswise into strips 1/2-inch wide
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Whisk in the flour to make a smooth paste. Continue whisking and add the garlic; cook for 30 seconds longer. Whisk in the soy milk and cook until the mixture thickens slightly.
Add the chard and stir to coat well. Cover and cook just until tender, about 2 minutes. Season with pepper. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve hot.
Nutritional analysis per serving
|Serving Size||About 1 1/2 cups|
|Cholesterol||< 1 mg|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Fat||4 g|