Recipe: Cream of wild rice soup
Medically reviewed on December 20, 2017Serves 4
Blended beans in this recipe provide creaminess without the fat — and the bonus of fiber.
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced kale
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup unsalted white beans, prepared
- 2 cups 1 percent milk
- 1/2 cup wild rice, cooked
Saute onion, carrot, celery and garlic in canola oil in a soup pot until lightly brown. Add kale, parsley, stock and spices.
In blender, puree beans with milk. Add bean mixture to soup, bring to simmer and add rice. Cook for 30 minutes. Serve in warmed bowls.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||About 2 cups|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Fat||5 g|