Brown rice pilaf
Medically reviewed on Aug 3, 2018Serves 8
Any brown or black rice works in this recipe. Invest in the pistachio oil if you can. Its flavor is so intense that just a bit makes this dish taste incredibly rich.
- 1 1/8 cups dark brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads or ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pistachio oil or canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
In a saucepan over high heat, combine the rice, water, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the saffron. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and keep warm.
In a small bowl, combine the orange zest and juice, oil, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk to blend. Pour the orange mixture over the warm rice. Add the nuts and apricots and toss gently to mix and coat. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
|Serving Size||About 1/2 cup|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Fat||5 g|