Recipe: Beef stewServes 4
Although this beef stew is easy on meat, it's full of vegetables and flavor.
- 1 pound beef round steak
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced sweet potato
- 1/2 cup diced white potato with skin
- 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/4 cup uncooked barley
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable or beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, minced
- black pepper, to taste
Preheat grill or broiler (medium heat). Grill or broil steak 12 to 14 minutes turning once. Don't overcook. Remove from heat and let rest while preparing vegetables.
In a large stock pot, saute vegetables in oil over medium-high heat until lightly brown, about 10 minutes. Add barley and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Pat meat dry with paper towel. Dice grilled steak into half-inch pieces, add to pot. Then add vinegars, stock, herbs and spices.
Bring to simmer and let cook 1 hour, until barley is cooked and stew has thickened considerably.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||About 2 cups|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||9 g|
Last updated: April 17th, 2014