Recipe: Beef BrisketServes 8
The acidic ingredients and cooking time tenderize this tough cut of beef.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds beef brisket, trimmed of fat and cut into 8 pieces of roughly equal size
- Course ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) no-salt-added tomatoes and liquid
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup low-sodium beef stock or red wine
Heat oven to 350 F.
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Season brisket with pepper. In batches, cook meat, turning occasionally, until dark brown on all sides. Transfer brisket to a plate.
Add onions to pot. Cook and stir until browned. Add garlic and thyme and cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes (undrained), vinegar, and stock or wine. Bring to a boil. Return beef to pot, cover, then place pot in oven. Cook until beef is tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||About 3 ounces meat and 3 ounces sauce|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Fat||9 g|
Last updated: December 4th, 2015