Recipe: Bean salad with balsamic vinaigretteServes 6
Garbanzos — also known as chickpeas — and black beans are an excellent source of soluble fiber, the type of fiber that can help control blood cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
For the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzos, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
To make the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, parsley, garlic and pepper. While whisking, slowly add the olive oil. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the beans and onion. Pour the vinaigrette over the mixture and toss gently to mix well and coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate until served.
To serve, put 1 lettuce leaf on each plate. Divide the salad among the individual plates and garnish with chopped celery. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Serving Size||About 1/2 cup|
|Monounsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Fat||10 g|
Last updated: July 31st, 2012