Use these tips to help children prevent diabetes
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 18, 2018.
Yes. Parents can do a lot to help their kids prevent type 2 diabetes. Make it a family affair. Healthy changes become habits more easily when everyone does them together.
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Get more active. Go for walks, play ball, or go to the park. Children need at least 60 minutes of activity a day.
- Cut back on sugar. Limit sugar-sweetened drinks and juice.
- Offer healthy snacks. Focus on vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
- Limit screen time. That includes TVs, computers, tablets, and phones.
- Eat dinner as a family. Keep the TV turned off.
- See a dietitian. Some grocery chains have a dietitian to help you at no charge.