Pubic hair removal: Are there benefits?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on March 15, 2019.
There's no medical or hygienic reason for removing some or all of your pubic hair. But the removal process can be painful and cause many side effects, including:
- Genital itching, sometimes severe
- Genital burns from waxing
- Abrasions or cuts during shaving or waxing
- Stubble, rash, bumps and ingrown hairs
- Bacterial infections
- Increased risk of contracting or transmitting viral infections, such as herpes simplex or HPV, due to cuts or skin irritation that make the skin more susceptible
- Contact dermatitis from shaving products
If you're considering removing your pubic hair, ask your doctor for guidance to help minimize the side effects.