Label Changes for:
Kepivance (palifermin) Injection
Changes have been made to the WARNINGS, PRECAUTIONS and ADVERSE REACTIONS sections of the safety label.
Detailed View: Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER)
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
Potential for Stimulation of Tumor Growth
- Kepivance has been shown to enhance the growth of human epithelial tumor cell lines in vitro … (in vitro added to sentence)
- The following paragraph was moved from the general Adverse Reaction subsection to the Clinical Trial Experience subsection: The most common adverse reactions attributed to Kepivance were skin toxicities (rash, erythema, edema, pruritus), oral toxicities (dysesthesia, tongue discoloration, tongue thickening, alteration of taste), pain, arthralgias, and dysesthesia. The median time to onset of cutaneous toxicity was 6 days following the first of 3 consecutive daily doses of Kepivance, with a median duration of 5 days. In patients receiving Kepivance, dysesthesia (including hyperesthesia, hypoesthesia, and paresthesia) was usually localized to the perioral region, whereas in patients receiving placebo dysesthesias were more likely to occur in extremities.
- Infections: In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled post-approval study designed to determine the efficacy of Kepivance with a high-dose melphalan preparative regimen, the incidence of treatment-emergent infections was significantly greater in patients treated with Kepivance compared to placebo. A total of 281 patients were randomized to 3 arms: Kepivance before melphalan on days -6, -5, -4 and after melphalan on days 0, 1, and 2 (pre-post) (n=115); Kepivance before melphalan on days -6, -5, -4 (pre) (n=109); or placebo (n=57). The incidence of reported infections were pre-post - 50%; pre - 47%; and placebo – 25 (This section added)
- In vitro and in vivo data showed that palifermin interacts with unfractionated as well as low molecular weight heparins with no noticeable effect on the pharmacodynamics of either drug. If heparin is used to maintain an intravenous line, rinse the line with saline prior to and after Kepivance administration [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)].
- Do not administer Kepivance within 24 hours before, during infusion of, or within 24 hours after administration of myelotoxic chemotherapy [see Dosage and Administration (2.1) and Clinical Studies (14)]. In a clinical trial, administration of Kepivance within 24 hours of chemotherapy resulted in increased severity and duration of oral mucositis.