Low Substituted Hydroxypropyl Cellulose
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Low substituted hydroxypropyl cellulose, also commonly known as hydroxypropyl methycellulose (HPMC) or hypromellose is a binder and disintegrant inactive ingredient for solid dose forms in the pharmaceutical industry. As a powder, hypromellose is off-white to beige and may be in granules.
Hypromellose is considered an inert ingredient. Hydroxypropyl cellulose is soluble in both water and alcohol, but low substituted hydroxypropyl cellulose swells in water and is insoluble.
Hydroxypropyl methycellulose is also a coating agent and film-former used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry. It has also been used as a rate-controlling polymer for sustained-release dose forms.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Top Medications with this excipient
- Benicar HCT 12.5 mg / 20 mg (Sankyo Pharma)
- Benicar HCT 25 mg / 40 mg (Sankyo Pharma)
- Clopidogrel Bisulfate 75 mg (base) (Sun Pharma Global FZE)
- Clopidogrel Bisulfate 75 mg (base) (Aurobindo Pharma Limited)
- Dexilant 60 mg (Takeda Pharmaceuticals America, Inc.)
- Famotidine 20 mg (Wockhardt USA)
- Gabapentin 600 mg (Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Inc.)
- Lansoprazole Delayed Release 30 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Lansoprazole Delayed Release 30 mg (Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Inc.)
- Methocarbamol 750 mg (Camber Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Methocarbamol 500 mg (Camber Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Mirtazapine 15 mg (Aurobindo Pharma)
- Mirtazapine 30 mg (Aurobindo Pharma)
- Mirtazapine 45 mg (Aurobindo Pharma)
- Omeprazole 20 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 40 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Pantoprazole Sodium Delayed-Release 40 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Promethazine Hydrochloride 25 mg (Zydus Pharmaceuticals)
- Promethazine Hydrochloride 12.5 mg (Zydus Pharmaceuticals USA Inc.)
- Promethazine Hydrochloride 50 mg (Zydus Pharmaceuticals)