Hypromellose 2910 (50 MPa.s)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 16, 2021.
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Hypromellose, also commonly known as hydroxypropyl methycellulose (HPMC) is a coating agent and film-former used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry. It has also been used as a rate-controlling polymer for sustained-release dose forms.
As a powder, hypromellose is off-white to beige and may be in granules. Hypromellose is considered an inert ingredient. It has a high viscosity and is often used in ophthalmic preparations as artificial tears for dry eyes. In the US, it is available over-the-counter (OTC) in such products as Isopto Tears and Nature’s Tears.
Top medications with this excipient
- Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 500 mg / 125 mg
- Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg / 125 mg
- Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine Extended Release 20 mg
- Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine Extended Release 30 mg
- Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine Extended Release 5 mg
- Bupropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release (SR) 200 mg
- Ciprofloxacin Hydrochloride 250 mg
- Ciprofloxacin Hydrochloride 750 mg
- Dextroamphetamine Sulfate Extended-Release 10 mg
- Didanosine 250 mg
- Didanosine 400 mg
- Fenofibrate 160 mg
- Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride 25 mg
- Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride 50 mg
- Ketorolac Tromethamine 10 mg
- L-Methyl-B6-B12 Vitamin B Complex
- Levetiracetam 1000 mg
- Levetiracetam 750 mg
- Minocycline Hydrochloride Extended Release 115 mg
- Minocycline Hydrochloride Extended Release 65 mg
- Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
- Innovate Us. What is Hypromellose? http://www.innovateus.net/health/what-hypromellose. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.