Hypromellose 2208 (4000 MPa.s)
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on April 16, 2020.
What is it?
Hypromellose, also commonly known as hydroxypropyl methycellulose (HPMC) is a coating agent and film-former used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry. It has also been used as a rate-controlling polymer for sustained-release dose forms.
As a powder, hypromellose is off-white to beige and may be in granules. Hypromellose is considered an inert ingredient. It has a high viscosity and is often used in ophthalmic preparations as artificial tears for dry eyes. In the US, it is available over-the-counter (OTC) in such products as Isopto Tears and Nature’s Tears.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Alprazolam Extended Release 1 mg
- Belviq XR 20 mg
- Carbidopa and Levodopa Extended-Release 50 mg / 200 mg
- Carbidopa and Levodopa Extended-Release 25 mg / 100 mg
- Cenestin synthetic conjugated estrogens, A 0.9 mg
- Cenestin synthetic conjugated estrogens, A 0.45 mg
- Darifenacin Hydrobromide Extended-Release 15 mg
- Darifenacin Hydrobromide Extended-Release 7.5 mg
- Donepezil Hydrochloride 23 mg
- Donnatal Extentabs 0.0582 mg / 0.3111 mg / 48.6 mg / 0.0195 mg
- Minocycline Hydrochloride Extended-Release 65 mg
- Minocycline Hydrochloride Extended-Release 45 mg
- Minocycline Hydrochloride Extended-Release 115 mg
- Nevirapine Extended-Release 400 mg
- Nevirapine Extended-Release 100 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate Extended-Release 200 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate Extended-Release 400 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate Extended-Release 300 mg
- Venlafaxine Hydrochloride Extended Release 150 mg
- Zolpidem Tartrate Extended Release 12.5 mg
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.